Parish History
As early as 1903, the pastor of St. Ann’s Church in Steelton, Fr. F. M. Negroni, provided visiting pastoral care to the residents of Enola. Many of the Catholics here were Italians who were employed by the Enola rail yards.
On December 8, 1924, Bishop Philip R. McDevitt authorized the purchase of a farmhouse with a few acres of land on West Locust Street in South Enola for the purpose of providing education and support to the growing Catholic community. The house was eventually modified to include a small chapel and housing to become a convent.
In June 1925, 6 sisters of the Dominican Sisters of the Perpetual Rosary arrived in Enola and established their cloistered community at the farmhouse. Masses were offered there by the priests who were assigned to St. Patrick Cathedral in Harrisburg. The religious community relocated to Lancaster in 1955.
In April 1926, Bishop Philip McDevitt established a parish in Enola, with Fr. John P. Stanton as the first pastor. Fr. Harold E. Keller shortly succeeded Fr. Stanton as pastor that same year. Fr. Keller initially held Masses in the convent’s chapel.
While Fr. Keller was pastor, land was purchased at the corner of Enola Drive and West Pine Street for a new Church. The cornerstone was laid on May 7, 1927. The dedication of the Church on West Pine Street took place on September 18, 1927. Bishop McDevitt consecrated the Church. The parish continued to grow over the years.
In 1977, Mr. Ovidio and Mrs. Edith L. Acri donated 10 acres of their farm to Our Lady of Lourdes parish. A groundbreaking ceremony was held in 1979 for the construction of a new church. The Church was dedicated in March 1980 by Bishop Joseph T. Daley. The rectory was constructed in 1985.
Various elements from the church on West Pine Street were brought over to the new church on Salt Road, including the stained glass windows, the votive candle racks, and the crucifix that hung above the altar. The crucifix from the old church now hangs in St. Mary’s Hall. The statues of Our Lady of Lourdes, St. Bernadette, the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and St. Margaret Mary were also in the West Pine Street church.
By the year 2000, participation in the parish’s religious education program for children rose to 500. Needing more space to educate the youth, the parish constructed the Fr. John A. Acri Parish Center. The Parish Center currently includes the parish offices, a gymnasium, cafeteria, and many classrooms and meeting rooms.
When the parish center was completed, a pavilion was built for picnic and recreational use by parishioners.
In 2006, the church nave was enlarged to increase seating. Other renovations and upgrades to the space were made at that time.